Friday, June 3, 2011

Recovering alcoholics, what was the life changing event that made you want to give up drinking?

Or was it forced help from a family member?

Also when you gave up drinking and it's been years later, do you ever have another drink again?



Also what advice could you give to our fellow readers about taking it easy on the bottle?



Thank you!Recovering alcoholics, what was the life changing event that made you want to give up drinking?Simple.



My dad died right after I turned 21, and I drank almost every day for 3 years straight.



I got sick and tired of being %26quot; sick and tired %26quot; and as cliche as it sounds it's true.



I stopped drinking for over 10 years, but also had a handle on it afterwards. I have a 3 drink MAXIMUM and usually don't have more than 2.



Only ONCE in the last 22 years have I been completely lit up.



Readers won't take advice about drinking..they have to learn it on their own. Usually the HARD WAY.Recovering alcoholics, what was the life changing event that made you want to give up drinking?I strongly believe you cannot force a family member to give up the bottle. Nobody could have forced me to do that.



It didn't take an event for me. In fact, I had many, many events that should have forced me to to quit but it didn't happen. I totaled a car, spent time in jail, should have spent more time in jail (ran from the cops), broke an ankle, had heart problems, relationship problems, etc...



What made me quit? Myself. Deciding I wanted a better life.



If you manage to get off the bottle, don't ever have another drink. Been there also, and you'll be back to the same problems. You have to give it up altogether.Recovering alcoholics, what was the life changing event that made you want to give up drinking?Best advice - try living with an alcoholic! My mother's boyfriend nearly destroyed our whole family.



We were so scared all the time. When I look back on it now I don't know how we all got through it in one piece. He would beat my mother, break into the house, threaten us with a gun... etc.



If you've ever had that happen to your previously stable, happy family, it never leaves you. I would NEVER NEVER NEVER go out with anyone who drank to excess - even if they were not technically alcoholics. It scares me so badly, and I'm 30 years older now.Recovering alcoholics, what was the life changing event that made you want to give up drinking?I was raising my daughter and she missed a day of school because I had been partying most of the night. I realized that because of my drinking, I was not being a responsible parent. I tried to do it alone and drank again after that.

Taking it one day at a time, I have not drank again for the last eight years.

If someone has a drinking problem, I suggest going to AA. Read the Big Book, go to lots of meetings, get a sponsor, a home group, and work the steps. If anyone would like to learn more about AA and staying sober, feel free to e-mail me.

Thanks to a Higher Power I choose to call God, the fellowship of AA, and the 12 steps, I don't have to drink today.Recovering alcoholics, what was the life changing event that made you want to give up drinking?I'm not an Alcoholic but my ex was and the event that changed him was pushing me down when I was holding my baby son in my arms because he was trying to drink and drive and I tried to stop him. I was so angry and told he it was his son or it was alcohol. He chose his son, that's not to say he didn't have a slip up or two but in the last 6 years he's slipped up twice, I told him then 3 times and he's out for a year.Recovering alcoholics, what was the life changing event that made you want to give up drinking?I made up my mind to do it after things got bad enough. Daily blackouts, couldn't work, that sort of thing.



Haven't had a drink in 11 years, and a %26quot;higher power%26quot;/AA had nothing to do with it. It's a personal choice, not a disease.