Friday, June 3, 2011

What was a life changing moment for you?

I'm doing a project for speech on moments that have changed peoples lives. It can be major or simple. Just give a little story about what happened and what it changed. Thanks.What was a life changing moment for you?Two %26amp; a half years ago my dear wife had a brain aneurysm rupture without warning. We were unaware that it existed. She survived thankfully, (not many do) but because of the location of the aneurysm she now has severe short term memory loss as a result. Her long term memory is phenominal.The right frontal lobe of the brain controls memory as well as organizational skills. Her memory span is apprx. 10 minutes then everything goes away. She went from being a very active person who just couldn't sit for more than 5 min. without having to be doing something %26amp; now she does very little because she cannot organize her thoughts or her efforts long enough to accomplish all the things a women does in her daily routine. Housework is a definite challenge. Her main hobby or pasttime was reading %26amp; baking. She read a book a week on average %26amp; everyday we were treated to some of her delicious goodies from the oven. Now she doesn't read at all %26amp; following recipes is almost impossible for her. If you,ve seen the movie %26quot;Fifty First Dates%26quot; you've seen my life as it is today. I keep diaries, take lots of photos etc. to help keep her focused. Even T.V. programs are a challenge. All it will take is a commercial break %26amp; then everything goes away. The saddest part of all was when she was at her worst immediately after her surgery her Mom %26amp; some of her siblings who she had not seen for 9 yrs. ( they live out of province) rushed to be with her %26amp; she has no recollection of them being here at all. However we have the photos %26amp; the internet for them to keep in touch. To add to this sad situation 6 mons. ago she was diagnosed with another aneurysm on the other side her brain. It is now being monitored very closely until she is well enough to endure another major surgery. So far so good. I've taken an early retirement to be her full time caregiver. I pretty well do everything now; the housekeeping, the banking, the shopping %26amp; like most men never appreciated the many things our wives do for us in order for us to be successful. I have a whole new perspective now!!!!! This lovely young lady is only 49 yrs. of age. She cared for me for 32 yrs. %26amp; raised 2 terrific children plus a granddaughter %26amp; now it's my turn to care for her. My advice to anyone is to cherish the time you have together both family %26amp; friends. Life can take a traumatic irreversible change in the blink of an eye. My special advise for all the men folk is to stop %26amp; realize the very treasure that supports you cares for you %26amp; loves you unconditionally is far too often is greatly unappreciated or rewarded for the sacrifices they make to ensure your success %26amp; happiness. I'm fortunate to still have my little treasure with me %26amp; hope the next surgery won't change that. Until then we'll continue on with no regrets, a little sadness perhaps, because there are lots of folks worse off than we are. We still have each other %26amp; that's what love, marriage %26amp; commitment have given us.



I wish you luck on your project young lady. I hope you do well. If you would like any more background or info fell free to e-mail me.



grandpa_rocks_2005@hotmail.com



So for now I'll wish you %26amp; yours an early Merry Christmas %26amp; a Happy Healthy New Year......What was a life changing moment for you?The moment I decided to move to Sweden my life has never been the same again. I have to start from scratch, learning the language and culture and adapting the climate.What was a life changing moment for you?When I told the Naval recruiter that I did not want to enlist. Up to that point in my life I had been following everyone's advice. That was my first major decision, albeit a bad one upon reflection, but my decision none the less. After that I started being more independent and making my own choices for good or bad. In other words I started living my life instead of letting others live it for me.What was a life changing moment for you?a female's first period. thats a step into womanhood. what you think?What was a life changing moment for you?As a roofer, I worked for an employer who cared about nothing but money. He pleased customers as much as he needed to get what he wanted. As an employee, I didn't care a lot either, but I was thinking only of my employer. I began to roof an addition to a house during a rainy period. It was tarped. I checked the weather and if the chance of rain was too great I wouldn't go. After the owner asked me to try harder to get something done, I was still lackadaisical. The owner told me that the house was leaking and that it was damaging the finished part of the house. This was the type of guy I naturally respected, the type who would try just about anything and do well at it. It seemed like he was about to cry, and I have rarely felt so badly about my own behaviour than I did then. Every day after that I went to work regardless of the forecast. Once a wind came up and blew the tarp right over top of me. The rain came, but I was between 2 dormitories so I had room to work beneath the tarp. I kept roofing. I got the roof done in a short time. The owner passed shingles to me on an awkward part. When I was done, both the owner and his wife said bye to me. That taught me to take personal responsibility for my own behaviour regardless of the attitude of those with authority over me.What was a life changing moment for you?I had just got my divorce finalized, had two young daughters (4yrs old, 13 months old) to look after, was on my way to the doctor's because they found cancerous cells, and about quarter of the way there I lost control of my car on black ice and crashed into a snowbank that was at the bottom of the hill. My car did 360s from the top all the way to the bottom. As soon as I finally got it pushed off to the side of the road, 3 transport trucks almost hit me as they lost control of their trucks. It was only by mere inches that each of them missed my car, and me.



How did that change my life? Made me more protective of my children, made me happy to be alive (almost 4 times in about 15 minutes I could have been killed, so I am extremely lucky), happy that my divorce went through, and made it so that this rat race we run to get money / money / then more money just doesn't matter as much to me anymore. Money is nice yes, but my family and friends, and now my current fiance is more important to me. I'm thankful everyday that I am still here.



Oh, and I've been cancer free ever since.What was a life changing moment for you?I would have to say my recent bout with thyroid cancer.



I had a pretty bad outlook on life ... a life-long %26quot;pitty-party%26quot;, some would say. That is, until I found out I had cancer.



From the first day that I entered the Cross Cancer Institute, I came to see things in a whole new light. When a person hears the screams of a child having a spinal tap done, or a small child all bloated and hairless from chemotherapy ... it brings you back to earth, with a hell of a thud.



Here I was, feeling sorry for myself, totally ignorant to the fact that there are babies and small children suffering ... and battling, with every ounce of internal strength they possess ... in order to remain on this earth.



This forever changed how I view the %26quot;gift of life%26quot; .......What was a life changing moment for you?probably when my first child was born.



also when i realized that if you tell people different things (lie) it will catch up with you (got caught in a lie)



when i started taking yoga it started me on the path to happiness. it was very scary. but i am happy now.What was a life changing moment for you?I have had some, as far as I remember

1- When I got my college degree

2.- When I got married

3.- When my first child born

4.- When my Wife died

5- When my children took their own road

I pray for no more changes, must of them good or bad rotate your thinking 180 degrees, and most of the times you have to restart your life to a different manner, sometimes that is traumatic considering that you feel like you have wasted part of your life. I have observed that the consistence in the life guide you to satisfactions and success, Consolation is that many beautiful memories arise in your soul and make you to love more the life.What was a life changing moment for you?After a yelling argument with someone, I raised my hands to protect myself after becoming frightened. The other person thought it meant something else and moved as if to strike me. I flinched wildly, the other person checked their hand. I did not get hit. There was an immediate end to the argument and profuse apologies from both sides. We vowed never again to raise a hand in anger and to touch with only love and respect.



That was 14 years ago and it's been an unbreakable policy ever since. I am raising my son to believe in the same principle of never touching a person when you are angry.



And yes, that was my husband and I. He has never hit me and never will. We don't hit our son even though he does suffer the occasional slapped hand when he's done something extremely dangerous.What was a life changing moment for you?Reading the book %26quot; Healing with Angels%26quot; by Doreen Virtue. ( I think Doreen is the first name) It isn't all about angels by the way. Anyway, in reading that I found out that it is very likely that I am a star child/ indigo kid. (read the book if you wanna know what that is) For quite some time prior to reading that book, I really felt like although I enjoy my job, I wasn't really contributing to society in that job and that really bothered me. I wanted to be interested in a job where I could make the world a better place but so far I don't really have one. Anyway, the book says that Star Children often don't have a meaningful job, but a job in which they come in contact with many people. Their contribution to society is how they are role models and affect the people that surround them. Reading that made me feel so much better about myself and my life, knowing that its the people in my life that matter, not what I'm doing for a job. Since then I've been even more positive and caring and try to set a good example every day. That is also partly why I come on here answering peoples questions, to help them through difficult or puzzling situations and give them hope. I also just find it very rewarding.What was a life changing moment for you?the moment which changed my entire life was the moment when my parents got divorced. at tht time and near future i got this feeling tht now im grown up,all of a sudden, and my only aim in life is to keep my mom happy and to face this world and its people which was very challenging. although itz all fine now but still, tht moment changed my entire life :)