Monday, September 19, 2011

What novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?

Fiction only so no self help books like conversations with god etc. My favourite was Sati the story of an enlightened young lady who changed everyones lives around her to the better by her words and manner. ( She knew the answer to everything-enlightened )What novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?i love christopher pike! his books are amazing. have you read the 'remember me' and 'last vampire' series?



but the most life-changing was %26quot;catcher in the rye%26quot; by jd salinger. i'm one of those teens who never wants to grow up, and salinger captured this angst and fear of the grownup world so eloquently and beautifully. holden is such a real character - he reminds me of myself. all the things he says about adults being phonies and hypocrites was exactly what i felt. and i realized that i could demean adults all i wanted, but i was going to have to grow up eventually, and i would become the person i had once mocked.What novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?Life of PiWhat novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?Atlas Shrugged %26amp; Peaceable Kingdom.What novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?I liked Where the Red Fern Grows. It is so sad when he has to leave the dog's graves at the end.What novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?It is arguably a good mix of fiction and non-fiction, but %26quot;The 脝neid%26quot; by Virgil is the most powerful book I have read. On so many levels ?aesthetic, literary, figurative, heroic, moral, religious, historical 撀爄t is powerful and truly one of the greatest works ever written. I recommend the English translation (from the original Latin) by Allen Mandelbaum. It is the best.



The greatest line in it, in my opinion, has become my personal motto:



%26quot;Forsan et h忙c olim meminisse iuuabit.%26quot; (And someday in the remembrance of these things we shall rejoice)What novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?The StrangerWhat novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?Where the Red Fern Grows.. The death of the dogs made me cry so much. I guess their death reminded me of my dog's death, and it sparked some withheld emotions. :/



Also, inb4 The GiverWhat novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?%26quot;Crime and Punishment%26quot; by Fyodor Dostoevsky



It represented my graduation from paperback teen-romance to a world of literature that actually means something and will speak truth to millions of people for many generations to come. I wish I could read it for the first time again.What novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?Most life-changing? The Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse maybe. Camus' The Stranger. Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment. I dunno. Hard to say. The most influential book thus far for me was a nonfiction philosophical book that introduced me to Nietzsche. I must say Nietzsche rocked my little teenage mental world, and I highly doubt anything will come close in my life from a mental-scheme standpoint.What novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?%26quot;Catch 22%26quot; was the first novel to really shake me up.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch-22_(l



But there have been others since then. Notably the whole %26quot;Dune%26quot; series.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28nov



%26quot;Dune proved that literary science-fiction novels could be more than thinly veiled social satires, such as George Orwell檚 1984 or Anthony Burgess檚 A Clockwork Orange. Like Tolkien檚 Lord of the Rings trilogy, Dune presents us with a self-contained world, complete with its own races, religions, politics, and geography. Herbert introduces this new world and then adds a fascinating and intricate story, with vivid characters and scenes bolstered by an underlying ecological message. Dune has become the central masterpiece of science fiction, just as The Lord of the Rings is to the genre of modern fantasy.%26quot; taken from http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/dune/conteWhat novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?'a confederacy of dunces'



this novel will help you in no way.



its such a mess but it changed my life, in a slight adjustment-el way!



it nudged my thinking just slight of south.



read a book! dang it!



jimboWhat novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?%26quot;The Razor's Edge%26quot; by W. Somerset Maugham. I have read the book a number of times and always gain insight from it. The first was that God exists but not necessary the way I had believed. We each encounter God in our own way. But we have to open our eyes if we are to see. The second was that our lives have a purpose and that is to serve others. That we are each special and though something happens that seems meaningless at the time it has meaning.What novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski. That you could just talk about life without embellishment and all that and make it work on the page.What novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?We the Living by Ayn Rand.



Every decision Kira makes is one that, hopefully, will better her life and take her further away from her repressive society. She always inspires me to make positive changes in my own life, no matter how hard those changes might be to carry out.What novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?The Last Dragonlord by Joanne Bertin. It wasn't particularly profound or anything. It's just that up 'til that point, I hated reading and hadn't read even one book all the way through. After I read through that (in about one day) I became a voracious reader and am now attending college to become a book editor. That book, quite literally, changed my life.What novel ( fiction) has been most life changing book for you?The Devil Rides Out by Dennis Wheatley.

It made me appreciate the horror of the written word, much more than a film can portray.